EN | LV

liepaja

Information about Liepaja

In brief

1253 Liepaja mentioned in records for the first time as Liva village – Liiva dorp in Liiv language (Liiv meaning sand).

1625 Friedrich, Duke of Kurland grants Liepaja city rights

1697 Excavation of Liepaja port canal

1876 Liepaja – Romni (Ukraine) railway opened

1890 Liepaja port modernised and enlarged

1893 Russian Tsar Alexander III lays the cornerstone of largest Tsar army navy base and port – after 10 years Karosta Canal and military town are completed

1914 110 000 people live in Liepaja

1919 For six months Liepaja becomes the capital of Latvia

1940 Liepaja becomes a significant USSR naval port

1967 Liepaja port commercial activities stopped, Liepaja becomes “a closed city”

1992 Liepaja port resumes commercial activities, first foreign ship disembarks

1994 Last Soviet army troops leave Liepaja

1997 Special Economic Zone established in Liepaja, facilitating attraction of investments and development of Liepaja economy

2003 Liepaja and Latvia votes for joining the European Union